Thursday, September 3, 2009

Changing Schedule

I'm getting nervous about my schedule changing as school begins. It's been the same for-freaking-ever before this, and I hope my food intake won't get all messed up from being busy. I guess I'll have to keep jotting stuff down on a piece of scrap paper throughout the day. But packing a healthy lunch can be a doozy of suck for me, as I would never voluntarily consume any of the garbage that passes for saleable foodstuffs in today's marketplace, calorie restriction or no.

The other concern I have is timing. Keeping basically the same schedule every day for the same types of activities is one of the most under-recognized factors in general health, and will likely become more appreciated in the future as a basic component of well-being (maybe as the "next big thing" in mainstream health buzz for the undereducated, underexercised, chip-eating populace to latch onto and quickly discard as a feasible lifestyle choice). Keeping the circadian rhythm steady by waking and sleeping at the same times every day (and preferably dictated by the natural waxing and waning of sunlight), being physically active at the same times every day, being spiritual at the same times, socializing at the same times, relaxing at the same times, ruminating over how likely it is you'll make it to the anti-aging escape velocity and hit the ground running (that is, be able to afford the damn procedures--better plan for that before you celebrate simply making it to that point alive!) at the same times, and eating at the same times every day, are something that is written right into your body function for it to function optimally.

I recall seeing on an Imminst thread about fasting that one guy would automatically start sweating with heat and a severely runny nose at the usual time he'd indulge in his post-fast binges. The body turns on the thermogenesis when it thinks calories are coming to wreak havoc on your body, and makes you cold when you won't be replenished any time soon. Keeping a schedule allows for optimum use of your calories and even promotes insulin sensitivity! I recall another study that showed people who didn't eat at their meals at the same times every day were a whopping 60% more likely to be diabetic! If your body has to have an insulin party every time you surprise it with calories, it will negatively affect your health and insulin sensitivity. On the other hand, if food is expected, thermogenesis is at the ready, and so is the insulin, and you can handle your calories properly.

I intended to get on a halfway-manageable schedule before school started, but lookey here! Almost 2 A.M. and here I am. I had better get to sleep and get my schedule regulated starting now! Eek!

No comments:

Post a Comment